[Mailman-Users] hide list address for security ..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Sep 13 23:58:23 CEST 2009

Khalil Abbas quoted me and wrote:

> > I don't see what this has to do with security or spam. It only has to
>> do with what some users see when they view list mail. It may cause
>> some users to reply to the wrong address depending on how brain-dead
>> their MUA is, and then the list owner may see the reply as an
>> unrecognized bounce, but that's all.
>

>Thanks for your reply.. well, when they see:
>

>listname-bounces at domain.com they start sending to: listname at domain.com ..
>

>that's what I meant by spam.. but if the address is hidden and there's only the sender showing they wouldn't know what the list address is .. I'm not talking about the professional spammers that can track the message headers but list members and all the people they forward the messages to, they take any address they lay their hands on and add it to their address books .. believe me it's more pain in the act than real spammers ..

You mean your list members don't already know the address of the list
they're on. If that's the case, it sounds like you're the spammer.

Plus, the list address is in many more places in the message than the
Sender: header such as the To: header (unless the list is fully
personalized), Received: headers and the RFC 2369 List-*: headers.

>yet again, for the list owner getting loads of unrecognized bounces is pain enough, I get hundreds of'em and open each and every one of them to make sure that there are no real bounces!

I am sympathetic with that one. Running large lists is not easy.

However, I will tell you right now, I can't see ever making changes
that would make it possible for you to hide the identity of a list
from the members receiving its mail.