[Mailman-Users] Bounce Handling Question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 26 19:54:58 CEST 2009

Jeff Grossman wrote:

>I am running Mailman for two announcement only mailing list.  It is
>running with no problems.  I wanted to send out an announcement to all
>of my members without them getting a duplicate if they were on both
>lists.  I created a new list called all yesterday.  I put the two lists
>under the regular_include_lists setting.  It ran perfect.  But, I was
>wondering, how does the bounce handling work for that list?  If a user
>bounces a message when I send to the all list, do they get removed from
>the other list they are actually on?  The all list does not have any
>members associated with it.

Hmmm... You raise an interesting issue. The short answer is No. The
message is sent with envelope from all-bounces... and the bounce is
returned there and will be processed only for members of the all list,
i.e. no one.

So the issue is, is it worth enhancing bounce processing so that when a
bounce is returned for a non-member of list X, we look at list X's
regular_include_lists and score the bounce for any of those lists of
which the bouncing address is a member?

Thoughts anyone?

It seems that in the situation above where there are (I think) two
active lists that get their own posts, there would be enough regular
bounces so that ignoring the additional bounces from the all list
wouldn't be a problem, but there may be other situations where a list
is used as an alternative umbrella where almost all the posts would be
to the 'umbrella' and this would be a problem.

I added a note about this to the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9>.