[Mailman-Users] mailman install problems (syntax error at line1: `; ' unexpected)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 6 16:45:11 CEST 2010

CJ Keist wrote:
>I did try running in both sh and bash but still got same error.
>But I did get mailman to install.  The problem was with the Makefile in
>the misc folder.
>There were no packages defined. Does this mean I didn't run configure

No, it means that configure found suitable email and Korean and
Japanese codecs packages in the installed Python and thus didn't need
to install the ones that ship with Mailman.

>I simply commented out the for p loop:
>         #for p in $(PACKAGES); \
>         #do \
>             #gunzip -c $(srcdir)/$$p.tar.gz | (cd $(PKGDIR) ; tar xf -); \
>             #(cd $(PKGDIR)/$$p ; umask 02 ; PYTHONPATH=$(PYTHONLIBDIR)
>  $(SETUPCMD)); \
>         #done
>This got mailman installed and looks to be working okay.

That is a perfectly acceptable workaround, but the question is why
doesn't your make properly handle

   for p in   ; do ... ; done

and treat it effectively as a no-op when the for list is empty?