[Mailman-Users] Try again.. Sublist addressed as umbrella list

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Fri Aug 6 19:52:45 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 06:01:54PM +0100, Steff Watkins wrote:

[ still thread-jacking, though. ]

> I'm setting up an umbrella list

FWIW, I gave up on umbrella lists some time ago (and now build lists
progmatically).

> call it X-main and it is made up of two sublists, call them X-1 and X-2.
>
> Now I can send mail to X-main and it is forwarded on alright to X-1 and
> X-2.
>
> The problem is that the emails show as being sent from the respective
> sublists X-1 and X-2 and NOT from the parent list, X-main.

IIRC, this is 'solved' with sibling lists, and/or, using a script to
auto-generate, in your example, X-main (from the list-members of X-1
and X-2).

See e.g., http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9

> What is the way to get the X-Main sender:/From: to pass through the
> X-1/X-2 sublists?

Another way *could* be to conditionally do some header-rewriting (for
mail destined to X-1 and X-2 from X-mail.), in your MTA, or
presumably, some local modification to the Mailman code-base.

--
``There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
  it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other is to