[Mailman-Users] post and smtp logs?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 9 14:32:57 CET 2010

Mark J Bradakis wrote:

>Can anyone tell me at what point in the process of delivering
>list messages does information get written to logs/post and
>logs/smtp ?

They are written by SMTPDirect.py when the outgoing message has been
delivered to the MTA.

>Currently a message comes in, postfix hands it off to
>mailman and the message is written to the qfiles/out
>directory within a second or so.
>
>But it isn't until two, maybe two and a half hours later
>an entry for the message is made in the logs when the
>message is finally sent out.  What is mailman doing in
>that long interval?  The outgoing queue runner is running,
>staying mostly idle.

It's hard to say without more information. The log is not written until
delivery to the MTA has been completed for all recipients. If there
are not other messages in the out queue being processed ahead, my best
guess is the MTA is doing some kind of recipient verification on each
recipient and this takes a long time.

What does the smtp log entry say for time? Is it on the order of 9000
seconds?  What is in qfiles/out during this time? Is it a .pck file or
a .bak file? Is the out queue backlogged?

>Mail that is not routed through mailman behaves normally,
>getting processed quickly.  Two+ hours seems like a long
>time for mailman to be twiddling its thumbs.

OutgoingRunner is either delivering other messages or waiting for