[Mailman-Users] Warning: I/O Error While Trying To Byte-Compile

Beyer, Clay clay.beyer at nkadd.org
Tue Feb 23 20:31:33 CET 2010

Beyer, Clay Wrote:

>Mark Sapiro Wrote:

[...]

>>This is a Debian packaging issue. If you wish to install Debian's
>>Mailman package, you'll have to take this up with Debian.

>How would I go about completely removing the current, albeit, partial
>install of mailman? Is there a way to do any kind of complete removal
>other than just searching and deleting (after an apt-get remove)? I am
>bit of a Linux beginner, so I am not entirely sure how the tarball
>installations works, but I am betting that is simpler to figure out and
>will ask if I need any assistance.

>apt-get purge mailman, then delete files in /var/lib/mailman,
/etc/mailman, /usr/lib/mailman, /usr/share/mailman and
>/usr/share/doc/mailman (I think that is it).  Purge should do all this
for you (especially if you haven't touched any >list config).

>On the other hand, that is a strange error you got, and suggests you
may have another underlying issue.  If you haven't >got anything else on
the box, you may just want to reinstall with the latest Lenny minimal
server install and work >upwards.

>Using the Tarball is easy enough, though I always use the Debian
package because I never have any issues with it.

Apt-get remove worked as well as find -name... I was able to remove
everything associated with mailman and use apt-get install mailman,
which on this occasion, worked like a charm.

I am currently experiencing a hiccup at, documentation 6.1.1
(http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node13.html). I am
not understanding the aliases/aliases.db instructions. I, seemingly,
successfully ran /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases but now, cannot seem to
find any data/aliases file or directory.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
ClayB