[Mailman-Users] Storing list admin password in LDAP, or unencrypted?

Ivan Fetch ifetch at du.edu
Thu Jul 8 12:33:44 CEST 2010

Hello,

    We would like to integrate Mailman with a spam quarantine system. List
admin(s) will need to login to manage quarantined messages, and we would
like this login to use the list admin password. I'd like some feedback on
the best way to accomplish this, with Mailman.

    I can think of two ways to accomplish this -

    1. Mailman consults LDAP for the list admin password, and is able to
also set that password (for the web UI and the change_pw script). Mailing
lists are already defined in LDAP for our MTAs.

    2. The Mailman list admin passwords are stored in an unencrypted form,
which we regularly sync to LDAP, for the quarantine system to use.

    IT seems like option 2 would be simpler in terms of code, although less
ideal (because the password wouldn't be encrypted).

    Which method (or is there a third way?) is going to make the most sense
for seamless integration with Mailman?

Thanks,

Ivan.