[Mailman-Users] Is there a way to change the template files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 8 18:05:09 CEST 2010

lists at viplist.us wrote:

>It looks like each file that calls a txt file would have to be changed, or
>is there somewhere that I can globally change the

>to iso-8859-1?  I know I would then have to change all text files that are
>emailed (after figuring out which ones are emailed and which ones are
>simply includes.)

Why would you need to change any templates? the 'en' ones are all
us-ascii which is a proper subset of iso-8859-1.

>I tried changing the selection in Defaults.py  for English to iso-8859-1,
>but that did not do it.

It seems you've changed the question from "how do I put HTML into .txt
templates" to "how do I change the character set of Mailman generated
list mail".

>From this, I gather that the real issue you are trying to address is
inclusion of non-ascii characters in templates.

If that is the case, changing the character set for 'en' from us-ascii
to iso-8859-1 or utf-8 should work provided the non-ascii characters
in the templates are encoded in the same (iso-8859-1 or utf-8)
encoding.

It is best not to change this in Defaults.py, but rather override it in
mm_cfg.py (see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/fIA9>) with a line

add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'iso-8859-1', 'ltr')

(and the omission of the i18n _() around 'English (USA)' is
intentional).

As to why this didn't seem to work when you changed Defaults.py, did
you restart Mailman after the change?