[Mailman-Users] Test messages

Malcolm Austen malcolm.austen at weald.org.uk
Thu Jul 29 10:32:03 CEST 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:45:43 +0100, LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> I may have asked this before, but if so I can't find it in my archives.
>
> Is there a way to send a test message to a list without it being sent
> out to the entire list? Something like a ping that only replies to you?
>
> I have a list I host for a friend that is very sporadic. When active it
> can get 100 posts a day, but those days come infrequently.
>
> Sometimes he's concerned that posts are getting lost (it's happened in
> the past that some configuration muckup has borked the list) and he'd
> like to be able to check that the list is ok.

I habitually configure lists with spam filter entries of the form:

      ^Subject:.*test.*

Other entries contain the words 'spam', 'virus' and 'digest'. Then, if you
only want to test the process to the list, all you need do is put 'test'
into the subject line.

You could, of course, apply emergency moderation for the duration of the
test!

I'm sure there are other options (I don't have back-end shell access to my
lists) that involve stopping the outgoing mail and archive handlers.

= Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen, Oxfordshire, England