[Mailman-Users] Attachments are unexpectedly re-created.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 3 04:55:18 CET 2010

Masaharu Kawada wrote:

>I am sorry that I would like to know one more thing about
>digestable in advance.
>
>>>---
>>>xxx xx xx:xx:xx 2010 (2129) send_digests() failed: EUC-JP decoding error:
>>>invalid character ......
>>>xxx xx xx:xx:xx 2010 (2129) send_digests() failed: EUC-JP decoding error:
>>>invalid character ......
>>>xxx xx xx:xx:xx 2010 (2129) send_digests() failed: EUC-JP decoding error:
>>>invalid character ......
>>>---
>
> >Yes, I think this is the problem. Somewhere in the
> >lists/LISTNAME/digest.mbox file there is a bad message that causes
> >this error.
>
>It seems that the operation of the "send_digests()" starts via corn
>at noon(12:00) every day. However, re-creation attachment files
>problem happens even other time(not only at noon but also other time),
>so the "send_digests()" operation seems to be done sometime
>except at the specified time of cron. If my understanding is right,
>the "send_digests()" operation repeats(retries) sevral times after
>the fail of its first action. On this matter, what I would like to know
>is that what the interval of the retry, and how many time does it
>repeat.

cron/senddigests runs every day at noon and is responsible for the
exception that happens at noon or just thereafter.

There are no retries per se. The list has a setting
digest_size_threshhold (on its Digest options page). When a post
arrives that makes the digest.mbox bigger than digest_size_threshhold,
a digest is triggered immediately. In this case, the digest.mbox is
bigger than digest_size_threshhold and the digest is never
successfully produced so every post to the list tries to send a digest
and causes the exception to be triggered again. Thus, all the other
logged exceptions are the result of a post to the list triggering the
digest process.

If there were no posts to the list, the process would only run once a
day.