[Mailman-Users] Sibling lists (and other lists as list-members)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 11 17:41:02 CET 2010

Adam McGreggor wrote:

>I've got three (relevant) lists, all on the same machine/domain,
>(Mailman 2.1.11; Python 2.5.2):
>
>    nowhere-crew
>    nowhere-leads
>    norg.bored
>
>nowhere-crew(@lists.goingnowhere.org) has
>    <nowhere-leads at lists.goingnowhere.org>
>and
>    <norg.bored at lists.goingnowhere.org>
>
>as non-digest list-members (along with its own 'ordinary' (well, as
>ordinary as euroburners get) list-members): I want both of those two
>lists(members) to receive mails sent to nowhere-crew (that bit works).
>
>What I don't want is for copies of the mail sent to nowhere-crew
>to be sent (twice/thrice) where an email address is on either/both of
>the other two lists.
>
>It seems to me that putting:
>    nowhere-leads at lists.goingnowhere.org
>    norg.bored at lists.goingnowhere.org
>in
>    regular_exclude_lists
>
>should work. That's my understanding of things from past-list posts,
>and the little note on the wiki.
>
>Except it's not quite working. I'm still getting the message twice
>(thrice), when sent.

Because that's not the way to do it. Putting, e.g.
nowhere-leads at lists.goingnowhere.org in regular_exclude_lists of
nowhere-crew has no effect unless nowhere-leads at lists.goingnowhere.org
is in a To: or Cc: header of the post to nowhere-crew. That is not the
case here.

To use sibling lists, what you want is to remove the two sublists as
members of nowhere-crew and instead add them to regular_include_lists.
This will then add the regular (non-digest) members of the sub-lists
to the recipient list of the post to nowhere-crew, as long as the
sub-lists are not addressed in To: or Cc: of the post.

The caveat here is only regular members of the sublists will receive
the post (if they aren't members of nowhere-crew). Digest members of
the sub-lists who aren't members of nowhere-crew will not get the post
at all.

Also, people who are members of only a sub-list will receive the post
from nowhere-crew, not from the list of which they are a member. This
may or may not be a concern.

The upside is no duplicates, and no worries about administrative
messages/password reminders from nowhere-crew being posted to the
sublists.