[Mailman-Users] Member receives rejected message but message goesthrough

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 11 20:36:38 CET 2010

Hung Phan wrote:

>> Possibly another list in another installation is a member of this list
>> and that list is rejecting the post.
>We don't utilize umbrella list. Is that what you thinking of?

Yes and no. Unless you absolutely control your list membership, someone
could subscribe an address to your list which is actually, directly or
via an alias or forwarder, the posting address of another list.

Examine the rejection notice including all headers. from what
list/server does it originate? Look at Received: and X-BeenThere:
headers.

I won't say absolutely that it's not possible, but I don't think
Mailman can send a "rejected" notice without logging it in the vette
log, and if it does, it's a bug, and I'd like to know how it's
happening so I can fix it. I also don't think Mailman can 'reject' a
post and then have the same post (not a duplicate) accepted for the
list.