[Mailman-Users] put a list user into automated bounce processing from the command line?

Anne LaVin anne.lavin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 18:43:03 CET 2010

Hey, mailman gang - longtime listener, first-time caller, here.

I run a whole bunch of mailman lists (several hundred; and they're on
a private server on which I have full root access as needed, yay) and
have automatic bounce processing turned on for pretty much all the
lists.  And, mostly, it works beautifully.

But every now and then I get a list member whose deliveries start (and
keep) bouncing, but whose mail host sends unrecognizable bounces.

I would very much like to find a way (command-line is fine) to start
those list members' accounts off into the automated bounce processing
system somehow; in other words, I want to change their status to
"nomail-because-of-bounces" and I want the rest of the automated
system to know that that account is now starting down the path to
account removal and act accordingly, without requiring further action
from me, just as it would have if the bounces had been processed by
the system in the first place.

(If I change the user's status via the web interface as admin, they
get "nomail-because-of-admin" status and then they just sit around on
the lists forever, or I have to remember sometime later to remove
them, and that's just annoying.  So please don't suggest that route, I
can always do that if nothing else works!)

I think I can figure out enough Python (Python newbie, would prefer to
stay that way, thank you, I have enough stuff cluttering up my brain
already) to do something using "withlist" to change an account to the
"nomail-because-of-bounces" state, but I don't know where to look or
what to do to get the automated bounce thingy to notice them.  (I am
assuming that there must be more state associated with the user than
just their nomail status, as there's the whole date-related logic of
how many times they've been contacted, did a response fail to come
back to the system's messages, etc.  I just don't know where all of
that state lives, and/or whether I can get at it from the outside,
somehow.)

I tried to find stuff in the list archives about this, but so far have
failed (I have lousy search karma.)  Surely someone else has this
problem and has come up with a way to do something like this?

Thanks for any pointers,

Anne