[Mailman-Users] put a list user into automated bounce processing from the command line?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Mar 23 16:06:54 CET 2010

Anne LaVin writes:

 > But every now and then I get a list member whose deliveries start (and
 > keep) bouncing, but whose mail host sends unrecognizable bounces.
 >
 > I would very much like to find a way (command-line is fine) to start
 > those list members' accounts off into the automated bounce processing
 > system somehow; in other words, I want to change their status to
 > "nomail-because-of-bounces" and I want the rest of the automated
 > system to know that that account is now starting down the path to
 > account removal and act accordingly, without requiring further action
 > from me, just as it would have if the bounces had been processed by
 > the system in the first place.

This is probably not feasible, as you have stated it.  If the bounce
is not recognized the first time around, it won't be recognized the
next time, either.  In other words, you know such a bounce when you
see one, but Mailman doesn't -- it needs your help.  So you can't just
start the process; you have to help Mailman out on every unrecognized
bounce.

What needs to be done is to teach Mailman to recognize the previously
unrecognizable. :-)  I don't know how to do it myself, so I think your
best bet is to file a bug with the unrecognized bounces so that they
can become recognized.