[Mailman-Users] Changing host names, revisited... POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS?

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Wed May 5 15:52:53 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-04 1:25 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On 2010-05-03 6:24 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Here's how it looks to me. It was initially set up with email domain
> myhost.example.com and that is all fine. It all works as it should.
> You then decided that you wanted to be able to post to
> listname at example.com so you added a virtual_alias_mapping in
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf to map listname at example.com to
> listname at myhost.example.com where it would be further mapped to
> local listname via Mailman's
> hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

Whew... you pretty much nailed it. Its been so long since I set this up
- and its been working so well - that I had completely forgotten how I
did this, but I remember now, and you're right, I did manually create
those aliases. :)

> The only problem with this is the listname listinfo page, list welcome
> messages, etc all say post to listname at myhost.example.com

No problem, since I'm going to fix this up now, thanks to you... :)

> It would be better to just have the email domain as example.com and
> have
>
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['example.com']
>
> so mailman creates the virtual-mailman. Then it appears that since
> mapping listname at example.com to listname at myhost.example.com in the
> current mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf works, you could just remove
> those mappings from mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf and let the
> mappings in virtual-mailman do the job.
>
> However, read the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj> which I just
> wrote yesterday. Now I'm not sure whether that is even necessary.

I read it, and don't think it is... it seems to be just a different way
to do the same thing, but is much more complicated (and therefore more
room for breakage)...

> Clearly my understanding of Postfix is not complete. In your setup,
> is example.com a virtual_mailbox_domain (listed in
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vmd.cf)?

Yes:

# postmap -q example.com mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vmd.cf
Example Primary Domain

Ok, so, now that we know how/why the current setup works, can you
confirm the steps to fix it properly as:

1. Stop postfix

2. Stop mailman

3. Make these changes to mm_cfg.py:

  MTA = 'Postfix'
  DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'
  DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.example.com'
  POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = 'example.com'
  VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

4. Run $prefix/bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url to fix all existing lists

5. Run $prefix/bin/genaliases

6. Delete the listname*@example.com > listname*@myhost.example.com
   alias mappings from the mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_vam.cf db

7. Start mailman

8. Start postfix

?

Many thanks again Mark... this has at least been a learning experience
for me... :)

--

Charles