[Mailman-Users] Moderators subscribe users via email only

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Sat May 15 16:20:24 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:08:23PM -0700, ericl42 wrote:
> I am setting up a MailMan list server and I am trying to find a way for
> moderators to subscribe users through email. We are only using the MailMan
> website for the administrators and need the moderators to be able to at
> least subscribe people and/or accept subscription requests from users. The
> only way I can think of this working is by allowing only moderators the
> ability to use the subscribe command and then I can just set the privacy
> options to wide open and not require approval since I know only the
> moderators are doing the commands. Is this possible or is there any other
> way to do this? Thanks.

Were this me, I'd probably look at using something like:

    all mail going to $mailbox is considered a (un)subscription request;
    mail to $mailbox needs to be (gpg) signed;
    the subject: header contains the listname and a command;
    the body of $mail contains a list of email addresses, one per line

If the signature's valid, then to feed the body of the mail to
(add,remove)_members, stripping subject: as arg1 (listname) and arg2
as 'add' or 'remove', and turning the body into a tempfile to use.

As for invocation, it could be done directly as a pipe to a script, or
relying on cron to handle things; a second mailbox could be used, to
make things 'easier' for subscription/unsubscription.

I'm not doing this myself. There may be other ways.

For Mailman 3,
    http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-developers@python.org/msg11808.html
and thereafter may be of interest.

--
``MP3s are for people who download music. People who buy Mercedes
  cars can afford to buy their music.''