[Mailman-Users] Moving / upgrading Mailman from Solaris to Linux

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Nov 11 13:24:21 CET 2010

Ivan Fetch <ifetch at du.edu> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We are planning to move our Mailman installation from Solaris to Linux,
>and upgrade in the process. I'd love to hear from anyone who has run
>production Mailman on Linux.
>
>What experiences have list members had with RedHat vs. Ubuntu Mailman
>packages, vs. compiling Mailman from source?
>
>At this point, even though I prefer to use packages when possible, I am
>leaning toward compiling Mailman from source because of:
>1. Red Hat packages are typically more ancient
>2. Ubuntu packages seem to include non-standard patches to Mailman
>   (still sorting this out)
>
>Additionally, has anyone run into problems with Python packages
>provided by Red Hat and Ubuntu?

Check the archives of the list.  I run Mailman 2.1.13 (soon to be 14)
on Ubuntu Dapper (to be converted to the latest LTS release).
I built my own Mailman package from the SourceForge source because
most of the Debian/Ubuntu patches were undocumented as to what they
did, and one removed a necessary library.  Contact me off-line
for more details.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 240, Room 5.B.8             Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov