[Mailman-Users] Moving / upgrading Mailman from Solaris to Linux

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Fri Nov 12 23:43:40 CET 2010

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Andrew Hodgson wrote:
>>
>>I am thinking of trying to build my own install for the reasons I outlined above, the reasons I am holding off this are:
>>
>>1.  Having to move everything out of the directory structure you get with the Debian package.

>I'm not sure what the Debian directory structure is, but you should be able to get very close via the --prefix, --exec-prefix and --with-var-prefix >options to configure.

Actually I have just come out the other side of the upgrade, it wasn't too painful.  I actually put everything in /usr/local/mailman, as it allowed me to sort the configs etc out without breaking the working install.

I built the source on a virtual machine I do other testing on, then copied the mailman directory over to the live system, running fix_perms to ensure everything worked fine.

I built it with the user and group of list, and set the mail-gid and cgi-gid according to the Debian package.

I stole the scripts from /etc/init.d/mailman, /etc/logrotate.d/mailman and /etc/cron.d/mailman after tweaking a bit to keep the working init, logrotate and cron scripts working.

I then changed the Apache configs to point to the new installation, and after stopping the services, moved the archives and lists directories over.  I ran the new qrunner and everything started up ok.

The only issue I had which had me scratching my head for a bit was that simlinks in /usr/local/mailman/archives/public were broken, these are now fixed.

End result: Working Mailman with security patch applied :)

If anyone wants more detailed steps please let me know.

Thanks.
Andrew.