[Mailman-Users] Mailman mailing lists are gone!
Dale & Lora Marshall
marshall at cliffhanger.com
Sat Oct 23 17:35:40 CEST 2010
I did a yum update and then a "yum install mailman". I run a server with a lot of domains on it and a few of them have mailing lists but not all.
list_lists reports 17 mailing lists which is I believe correct.
There was a mailman.conf file in the conf.d dir. Thanks! I moved it to a different name (just in case) and now I can at least see the two lists I maintain. I'll email the guy with the other lists and see if he's ok now.
Dale & Lora Marshall Internet Marketing Services
marshall at cliffhanger.com dalem at internet-ms.com
loram at internet-ms.com
From: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>
To: Dale & Lora Marshall <marshall at cliffhanger.com>; mailman-users at python.org
Sent: Sat, Oct 23, 2010 10:12 am
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman mailing lists are gone!
Dale & Lora Marshall wrote:
>Using Mailman version: 2.1.12rc2
>For some reason all of my mailing lists are now disconnected from mailman.
There is data in /usr/local/mailman/lists, and also lots of data in the
archives/private dir. But when I try to go to the admin page on any list I get
a "list does not exist" message. I did a yum update the other day.
>What has happened and how do I fix it?
I haven't a clue?
What did you update with Yum?
Do you see any lists on the admin or listinfo overview pages?
What does /usr/local/mailman/bin/list_lists report?
>In my Apache logfile I'm getting the following warning:
>[Sat Oct 23 09:44:08 2010] [warn] The Alias directive in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
at line 583 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.
>[Sat Oct 23 09:44:08 2010] [warn] The ScriptAlias directive in
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 584 will probably never match because it
overlaps an earlier ScriptAlias.
>The two lines in question are:
># MailMan Settings
>Alias /pipermail/ "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/"
>ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"
>I don't remember seeing this before I did a yum update the other day.
Aha. Now I have a clue. The Yum update most likely installed a Mailman
package which is now being accessed by Apache and has no lists. There
is most likeley now a /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman file containing "Alias
/pipermail/" and "ScriptAlias /mailman/" directives pointing to
this new installation. Remove that file. Then you'll also have to
figure out if other things such as aliases or other MTA stuff were
clobbered by the Yum update. Possibly just doing "yum remove mailman"
will fix things as long as there are no other conflicts between the
package yum installed and your existing Mailman.
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
More information about the Mailman-Users