[Mailman-Users] Cannot set digest mode via URL

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 3 06:13:34 CEST 2010

W. Curtis Preston wrote:
>> >... it returns me to the /members page,
>> >displaying a list of users.
>>

>> Which is exactly what I would expect. That URL is equivalent to
>> checking the user's 'digest box on the membership list and clicking
>> Submit Your Changes. It will normally return to the same page.
>>

>I believe what I should be seeing is what happens when you enter a user's
>email address in the search box and THEN click the digest button.  I should
>see the list of just the user I'm setting, and the check box for digest
>should be checked.

Only if you also put "findmember=<unencoded_email_address>" in the POST
data or query fragment.

>But that's not what's happening.  I get returned to the
>default members list (not just the list of the member I'm working on)

Which is expected with your URL

>and
>then if I check the user I was trying to set, the digest box is not
>checked.

Which is the problem we're trying to solve.

>I'm not complaining so much about what screen I get taken to, but
>that it's not setting the digest mode for the user, even though I'm using
>the new encoded email addresses in my GET query.
>
>I have not looked to see if this is an issue, but there is one
>> potential glitch. If the number of list members exceeds
>> admin_member_chunksize, there will be an additional query fragment in
>> the URL like
>>
>>  http://<domain>/mailman/admin/<listname>/members?letter="u"
>>
>> for an email address beginning with "u". In fact it can be even more
>> complex if the number of users beginning with a single letter exceeds
>> admin_member_chunksize.
>>

>Again I'm not having a problem interpreting what is being displayed on the
>screen.  I'm having a problem that I can't set the digest mode via this URL
>that appears to be valid:
>
>http://
><domain>/mailman/admin/<listname>/members?user=<email-address>&<email-address>_digest=1&setmemberopts_btn=Submit%20Your%20Changes&allmodbit_val=0&<email-address>_language=en&<email-address>_nodupes=1&adminpw=><adminpassword>
>
>This URL used to work and now it doesn't, even if I use the new style of
>email addresses.

And I am suggesting (although I haven't verified that this is or isn't
a problem) that because your URL is for the first (default) page of
the alphabetically chunked listing, your URL is not for a page that
contains the targeted user and that may be why it doesn't work.

I suggest you could try two things to either validate or repudiate this
suggestion.

1) set admin_member_chunksize to a number greater than the number of
list members and then try your URL.

2) add findmember=<unencoded_email_address> to the query fragments in
your URL.