[Mailman-Users] Setting mailman to "archive browse mode" only

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 7 17:39:01 CEST 2010

Adam McGreggor wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 06:18:52PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> You may or may not also want to remove Mailman's crontab so password
>> reminders aren't sent.
>
>:) but maybe not the archive building...

If by archive building, you mean cron/nightly_gzip, I suggest removing
that from all installations. All it does is gzip the periodic
pseudo-mailbox (e.g. 2010-September.txt) so that the gzipped file is
the "Downloadable version" linked on the archive TOC page. It saves no
space because the un-gzipped version is retained (in fact, it uses
additional space for the gzipped version), and the gzipped version is
up to 24 hours behind and is thus usually incomplete.

The only advantage is a possible saving of bandwith when one downloads
the file, but this seems like an artifact from an earlier time.

It might be worth it to gzip older files and remove the corresponding
un-gzipped files, but this is not what is done by cron/nightly_gzip.