[Mailman-Users] A basic filtering MIME question

yahoo yahoo at 8es.com
Tue Jan 4 03:28:42 CET 2011

On 1/3/11 2:06 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> I've been reading the FAQ's etc and asking local advice; but I must be
>> doing something stoopid.
>>
>> MM2.1.3 under Linux, 2.6.18-164.el5
>

> 2.1.3? This is quite old. Current is 2.1.14.

I'll ask the local maintainer to upgrade. Ooops, he says there's no RPM we
can use {until we fix something else, I assume.}

>> My goal is:
>>
>> a) Accept text/MIME/HTML message bodies, but deliver as text to subscribers
>> &  archives.
>>
>> b) /dev/null the attachments, both in delivery and archives.
>

> filter_content - Yes
> filter_mime_types - empty
> pass_mime_types -
>    multipart
>    message/rfc822 (allows plain text and converted HTML from attached
>                    messages. Remove to filter attached messages)
>    text/plain
>    text/html
> filter_filename_extensions -
>    exe bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
>    (these are defaults - this setting doesn't exist in 2.1.3)
> pass_filename_extensions - empty; default; this setting doesn't exist
>    in 2.1.3)
> collapse_alternatives - Yes (this setting doesn't exist in 2.1.3)
> convert_html_to_plaintext - Yes

Err, I see all those in our 2.1.3...

(I've been helped by Brad who has pointed out some issues I need to better
understand.)

Thank you.

I'll add a comment. FAQ 1.8 is confusing because it does not make it clear
what comments relate to 2.0, and what to 2.1.

Further, it's discussing both HTML & MIME issues.