[Mailman-Users] Attachment size limit (or max_message_size)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 20 23:45:51 CET 2011

Scott Race wrote:

>A few final questions to figure this out:
>
>1.  Has this always been the design?  The client seems to think that on his old server the message would get kicked back before hitting the moderation queue. If so that's cool, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I don't know what code modifications might have been in place in the
old server, but it has always worked this way in Mailman 2.1.x as
distributed by the GNU Mailman project.

>2.  To make sure I understand - if we were to use GLOBAL_PIPELINE directives in mm_cfg.py to re-order, would that mean that email addresses not signed up and confirmed as members would be able to send to the list and have it go into the modertor's queue?

Yes, but only if the post were subject to any of the miscellaneous
holds processed by Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py.

>3.  With a list of thousands of users, a 6MB attachment would kill our bandwidth if it went out.  If we must moderate, is there any other solution other than the moderator looking at each email and deciding to kick it back due to size?  Postfix limiting (ungraceful, I know)?

I would recommend a custom handler (see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9>) to be inserted in the pipeline ahead of
Moderate whose job would be only to reject posts that are too big.

Alternatively, you could put Hold first, but modify it to reject
instead of hold.