[Mailman-Users] problem with mailman handling incomming mail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jun 4 17:41:00 CEST 2011

On 6/4/11 6:30 AM, Maxime Longuepee wrote:

> Now, if I want to add a mailing list with another domain name i own
> (it's hosted on the same machine), what should i do? I tryed to add a
> new mailing list specifying the domain name with
>
> /usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist name-of-the-list at myotherdomain.org
>
> I can access the administration page over the web interface but when i
> send an email to that address, i get an error (here is the postfix log):
>
> postfix/smtpd[94206]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from myhome.org[MY.IP]: 550
> 5.1.1 <name-of-the-list  @myotherdomain.org>: Recipient address
> rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<my at email.com>
> to=<name-of-the-list??@myotherdomain.org> proto=ESMTP helo=<[MY.IP]>

You need to add

add_virtualhost('myotherdomain.org', 'myotherdomain.org')

to mm_cfg.py and add the domain to POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS as in

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mail.mydomain.org', 'myotherdomain.org']

This assumes the web domain is the same myotherdomain.org as the email
domain. If not, the only difference is add_virtualhost is

add_virtualhost('myotherwebdomain.org', 'myotherdomain.org')

After adding 'myotherdomain.org' to POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS, run
bin/genaliases to update data/virtual-mailman*

Also not that the notation

/usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist name-of-the-list at myotherdomain.org

is deprecated and doesn't do the intuitive thing (but does the right
thing if the web domain and email domain are the same). See

/usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist --help

San Francisco Bay Area, California    Better use your sense - B. Dylan