[Mailman-Users] mailman violates RFC 1153?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Nov 8 16:22:44 CET 2011

On Nov 07, 2011, at 07:24 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>And if you looked at the source, you should have seen the following
>comment immediately preceding the adding of the footer.
>
># BAW: This is not strictly conformant RFC 1153.  The trailer is only
># supposed to contain two lines, i.e. the "End of ... Digest" line and
># the row of asterisks.  If this screws up MUAs, the solution is to
># add the footer as the last message in the RFC 1153 digest.  I just
># hate the way that VM does that and I think it's confusing to users,
># so don't do it unless there's a clamor.

Just to mention, I haven't used VM in a bajillion years, and in fact I very
rarely use digests at all these days.  So while this was very definitely a
case of "I get to make my playground work for me", I have no problem with this
code getting fixed to actually support the RFC, and not allowing a workaround
for an obscure MUA break things for everyone else.

Cheers,
-Barry