[Mailman-Users] Issues with mailman

Chris Petrik c.petrik.sosa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 00:00:05 CET 2011

On 11/15/2011 4:37 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 11/15/2011 8:48 AM, Chris Petrik wrote:
>> % cd lists/services-officialunix.com
>> %ls -l |wc -l
>>         8
>> %
>> %ls -l
>> total 24
>> -rw-rw----  1 www      mailman  3792 Nov 15 07:35 config.pck
>> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  3792 Nov 15 08:03
>> config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.30747
>> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  3835 Nov 15 08:00
>> config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.74443
>> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  3792 Nov 15 07:48
>> config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.74445
>> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  3792 Nov 15 08:00
>> config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.74446
>> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman   131 Nov 15 07:37 pending.pck
>> -rw-rw-r--  1 mailman  mailman   599 Nov 15 07:37 request.pck
>> %ln config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.74446 config.pck.last
>> %ls
>> config.pck
>> config.pck.last
> Actually, I gave you the wrong advice. The ln command should have been
>
> ln config.pck config.pck.last
>
> If that works, instead of trying this via the ln command, you could try
> it in a python process. Again as user mailman in mailman's home directory do
>
> bin/withlist -i
>
> This will respond with a few lines followed by a>>>  prompt. At the
> prompts enter
>
> import os
> os.unlink('lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck.last')
>
> (ignore any non-existant file exception)
>
> os.link('lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck',
> 'lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck.last')
>
> You can enter that all on one line, or you can enter
>
> os.link('lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck',
>
> which will result in a ... prompt to which you enter
>
> 'lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck.last')
>
> If that works, the question is why can you do it as mailman, but the
> qrunners can't? Did you start Mailman by running bin/mailmanctl start as
> root? If not, stop Mailman and then start is as root.

Hello,

First that option gave me an error as the file config.pck was owned by
www I changed it to root:mailman still gave me a perm error so I changed
it to mailmail:mailman and it worked.

Did the bin/withlist -i and it did the os.unlink and os.link commands
without issue.

After changing the perms I see that it now works without issue. Guess my
webpanel is the culprit. I will see if I can try and inform the
developers of this so I don't have to be changing the perms to make
mailman work.

Thank you Mark for pointing these thing out to me :)

Chris