[Mailman-Users] Mailman Problems under OSX Lion

Matthias Schmidt beta at admilon.net
Mon Aug 20 14:23:42 CEST 2012

Am 20.08.2012 um 12:33 schrieb Brad Knowles:

> On Aug 19, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-mailman at fmp.com> wrote:
>
>> There are lots of mailing lists available.  Mailman is only one of them.
>> Apple no doubt supports _a_ mailing list, but as Apple Enterprise
>> Support says, one can seldom expect support from a proprietary software
>> vendor for software which isn't their own.
>
> This has long been a major bone of contention.  We're happy to have them take our software, but if they're going to make modifications to it, they need to share those modifications back with us -- and support their mods.  If they're going to ship a modified version of our software but then not provide those modifications back to us and not support their modifications, and not provide any support for what they have shipped? Well, then that makes them the bad guys -- they don't give us any way to be able to provide support to their customers, and they don't support their customers themselves.  Regretfully, the Server team at Apple is well known for ignoring feedback and input from anyone else, especially anyone else in the company.

that's partly also true for postfix. The mods Apple made are undocumented and not reported back to the postfix developers. This concerns basically the OpenDirectory integration.

Besides that, Apple is not shipping mailman anymore with MoutainLion Server, so people are already installing it separately and that's what I would do under Lion as well.

What makes me wonder is that the OP has an AppleSupport contract and mailman is shipping with Lion, I find that more than strange ...

cheers
Matthias