[Mailman-Users] List not sending out a welcome message

Brian Carpenter brian at emwd.com
Tue Feb 7 20:00:17 CET 2012

On 2/6/2012 5:57 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Brian Carpenter wrote:
>> I have one list that is not sending out it's welcome message to new
>> subscribers and password reminder to its list members. All of the other
>> lists on the server are. I assume it's a db issue but could be wrong.
>> Any suggestion on where to look at what the problem could be?
>
> Are the list's General Options settings send_reminders and
> send_welcome_message set to Yes?
>
> If so, you could visit the various member options pages via the email
> address links on the Membership Management... ->  Membership List pages
> and verify that their "Get password reminder email for this list?"
> settings are not all No. If they are all No, do
>
> bin/config_list -o - LISTNAME | grep new_member_options
>
> convert the decimal integer you see to binary and see if it contains
> the 00100000 (2^5 = 32) bit which is the option to supress password
> reminder. If it does, also check mm_cfg.py for a
> DEFAULT_NEW_MEMBER_OPTIONS setting containing this bit.
>
> If all of the above indicates reminders and welcome messages should be
> sent, try running 'cron/mailpasswds -l LISTNAME' and subscribing a new
> member and check Mailman's 'smtp' log and the MTA logs to see if the
> messages are being sent and what's happening to them.

Thanks Mark for the reply. It turned out having the "Send password
reminders to, eg, "-owner" address instead of directly to user. " set to
yes on the General Options page caused the welcome message and password
reminder message from being sent out. Changing it to no fixed it.

--
Brian Carpenter
Owner | EMWD&  dotList