[Mailman-Users] Thoughts about migrating to Mailman instead of Sympa (from Majordomo)

Geoff Mayes gmayes at uoregon.edu
Fri Feb 10 18:25:41 CET 2012

It's been a few weeks since the last posting to this thread, but I nonetheless wanted to follow up to provide some sort of closure around one organization's mailing list migration efforts from Majordomo and to also hopefully provide a few interesting tidbits of information to others.

Based in part on the incredible responsiveness and assistance from this thread, we have decided to go with Mailman instead of Sympa.

We took a few measures to lock down our instance, including all of the following:
- Centralized LDAP authentication via Apache's mod_authnz_ldap (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authnz_ldap.html)
- Removed all subscriber password form fields from the UI so that only auto-generated passwords are used for subscribers (templates/en/listinfo.html and templates/en/options.html)
- Changed the back-end for subscriber passwords too so that a form/CGI password can never become the subscriber password (Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py)
- Removed the "auto-generate password" option from the "Create a New List" form so that users had to choose a password, and then removed the password string from the "Your list has been created" emails (templates/en/newlist.txt)
- Change the "Password Reminder" text to "Password Reset" and auto-generate a new random password before emailing the subscriber their password (Mailman/Cgi/options.py)
- Don't require a Mailman "list creator" password when creating a new list because the site is already locked down via an Apache LDAP module (Mailman/Cgi/create.py)

I also wrote an import script from Majordomo into Mailman, thoroughly referencing the excellent contrib/majordomo2mailman.pl script written in 2002 by Heiko that currently lives in the Mailman2 tarball.  I was able to translate most Majordomo settings into Mailman.  The script also has a --stats option if you just want to get a sense of the distribution of values across all of your Majordomo lists.  The script is only on GitHub right now (https://github.com/mayesgr/import_majordomo_into_mailman), but I plan to post it to Mailman's bug tracker once I'm 100% satisfied with it, in the hopes that, if others find it useful, it makes its way into the tarball as well.  If you'd like the script improved in any way, please feel free to let me know.  (Apologies to all pythonistas, myself included: the script started out as import_majordomo_into_sympa.pl, which are both written in Perl, and then we changed gears when we decided to go with Mailman instead.)

Thanks again to everyone for all of your great information and help,

Geoff Mayes