[Mailman-Users] Problem with Blackberry

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 12 08:22:14 CET 2012

Jeff Basham wrote:

>I have a subscriber who is on multiple lists that I run.  He gets email on
>his Blackberry, and one list is completely fine ... the other list he can't
>see the body of the email, only the header.  The only difference with the
>2nd list is that it has a header configured in the admin interface.  I
>removed the header, and he saw the message without the header just fine,
>but leaving it off permanently is not an option.
>Any ideas on what to try next?  I am thinking that the blackberry mail
>software is seeing the header as a 'signature' and not displaying anything
>below it, but I might be way off-base.  I don't have a blackberry, and
>never have had one, so I am a little blind on that end.

The header is added as a separate MIME part because the original
message is already multipart or doesn't consist of a single text/plain
message body.

The Blackberry sees the initial header text/plain part as the message
body and everything else as either attachments or things to be
ignored. This has nothing to do with the content of msg_header, just
the fact that there is one.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9> for more information.

In your user's case, this is basically a problem with the Blackberry
mail client. It is not unique to Blackberry, many "smart phone" mail
clients fail miserably at displaying messages with any sort of complex
MIME structure.