[Mailman-Users] Thoughts about migrating to Mailman instead of Sympa (from Majordomo)

Geoff Mayes gmayes at uoregon.edu
Sat Jan 21 03:29:24 CET 2012

Larry,

I think you closed our security hole!  You're right that someone else getting their hands on your mailman password is incredibly minor.  The issue is when individuals subscribe to lists using their central LDAP/AD password as their Mailman list password.  In that case password interception is a bigger deal.

As you recommend in your paragraph on password best practices, people should let Mailman2 auto-generate a password.  And it looks like this can easily be enforced by simply removing the "Pick a password" and "Reenter password to confirm" fields from the list subscription page.  Mailman will then auto-generate all passwords.  Voila!  Unique passwords that only exist in Mailman.  (Now if someone chooses to start using their Mailman list password as their LDAP password...)   :)

The annoying issue that remains is that Mailman2 cannot be brought under centralized authorization and users have yet another password to maintain.  But as you and others have pointed out, list owners and list subscribers rarely interact with Mailman.  And MM3 is on the horizon...

This is great.  Thanks, Geoff