[Mailman-Users] Problem creating mailing lists via webinterface in 2.1.11

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 28 21:46:48 CEST 2012

Steve Matzura wrote:

>The MTA is postfix. The file in question is
>/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases which, according to what I've read, is
>created from aliases.db.

The other way around.

>The interesting thing is, virtual-mailman
>*is* updated correctly from virtual-mailman.db while aliases is not.

You have it backwards. Mailman writes aliases and virtual-mailman and
then calls postalias and postmap to update the .db files from the text
files. Postfix uses the .db files even though the extensions are not
mentioned in main.cf.

You need to 'chmod 660 /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db' It
must be writable by the 'list group or it can't be updated by the web
server running the create CGI.

Also, see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD>.