[Mailman-Users] Messages received as attachments was: (no subject)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 14 22:36:11 CEST 2012

Stewart Hamling wrote:

>I have some lists set up that i essentially use as distribution lists to
>communicate with members of an amateur sporting club.
>I originally sent a message advising of an event on 22nd and 23rd September.
>Last night, I forwarded that message to the list as a reminder, but both the
>original message and the reminder message were received as attachments, 1
>text document and 1 HTML document.
>
>Is this normal?  I don't believe that it has happened before.

There are many things possibly involved in this. The MUA used to
compose the message and its settings and whether the forward was
"inline" or "as attachment" affect the MIME structure of the message
delivered to Mailman. Then Mailman's content filtering settings, the
Mailman version and whether the list adds msg_header and/or msg_footer
affect the MIME structure of the message sent from Mailman. Also,
various agents along the way may add disclaimers or privacy notices to
the message which may affect its MIME structure. Finally, the MUA used
to view the message received from Mailman will affect how any
particular MIME structure is rendered.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9> for some more on this.