[Mailman-Users] Some Approvd messages don't get broadcasted

franc at library.iisc.ernet.in franc at library.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Apr 2 13:18:26 CEST 2013

Hi, We have been using the Mailman software for almost 14 years now. At
present, we are on ver 2.1.12 / RH Fedora 9 OS.

I'm the moderator of a discussion list, which was started almost 2 decades
ago. There are more than 7K members on the list.

Off and on, I have been experiencing the following issue:

Some of the approved messages, doesn't get broadcasted. They do get
archived, though. One such recent message is accessible at
http://ncsi.iisc.ernet.in/pipermail/lis-forum/2013-March/014786.html

I have noticed that messages that contain non-ascii chars (typically,
content copied and pasted directly from a word processor) exibit such a
behaviour. When such messages are edited (removal on non-ascii) and
forwarded to the list by the list moderator they do get broadcasted.

I have also noticed that many of the postings that contain non-ascii chars
do get broadcasted upon approval.

Could you pl let me know what is it that causes such a behaviour and how
do we overcome it.

Thanks for your time and help.

  - Francis

JRD Tata Library,