[Mailman-Users] Owner and/or moderator not being notified of heldmessage

Mike Beaty mailman-users at mikebeaty.com
Fri Apr 5 01:12:59 CEST 2013

On Apr 4, 2013, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Mike Beaty wrote:
>> .  The held messages do not appear in the web admindb interface
>> .  They also do not show up in the 'vette' log
>> .  cron/checkdbs runs every morning at 8 am.
>> .  Messages are held in ~mailman/data/heldmesg-listname-###.txt
>
> If the ~mailman/data/heldmesg-listname-###.txt is created with the
> message but the message is not visible in the admindb interface, some
> exception is being thrown between writing the
> ~mailman/data/heldmesg-listname-###.txt file and saving the lists
> request.pck file. I'd guess a permissions issue, but what's in
> Mailman's error log?

That's possible, though I don't think that anyone's been twiddling
with the file system or the mailman installation.  However, I would
very much like for it to be a permissions issue, as I know how to fix
permissions :-).

I've put the last ~500 lines of ~mailman/logs/error into
 	http://www.mikebeaty.com/mailman_log.txt

Interestingly (to me), I see this error
 	ImportError: No module named Mailmann.UserDesc
which began on or about the day I first noticed the issues.  Searches
on the term Mailmann.UserDesc yielded no results, so my installation
must be uniquely horked.

>> .  Mailman version: 2.1
>
> Really? Mailman 2.1 was released in 2002; the current version in 2005
> was 2.1.5 or 2.1.6 (released May 2005). 2.1.15 is the latest release,
> but recent versions require Python 2.4+ <http://wiki.list.org/x/pYA9>.

 	37 /export/mailman/bin> version
 	Using Mailman version: 2.1

And I was mistaken in my original post.  According to the logs, the
correct date was Feb 04 11:29:54 2004 .  I apologize for the
confusion.  This installation has been working fine for over nine
years.  Unfortunately, I'm not the only sysadmin on this box, so
something may have been upgraded and/or changed without my knowledge.

I greatly appreciate your reply!

Mike