[Mailman-Users] lists lost labels (and footers) after moving mailman to a new server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 8 22:12:41 CEST 2013

On 07/08/2013 12:12 PM, Lluis Montoliu wrote:

> Once moving has been completed we can see the lists have been actually
> moved, apparently correctly, configuration parameters remain the same as
> they were before, but, curiously enough, the messages are distributed
> without the usual label and without the footer, even though both label
> and footer are well defined in the configuration page and were working
> nicely in the old server configuration.

I assume by 'label' you mean subject_prefix.

> According to the hosting provider they transferred everything to the new
> server, including all parameters of the list. They have been
> investigating the cause of these missing labels and footers but so far
> could not find any obvious cause.
>
> Things that I have tried so far:
>
> 1) Deleting the label, saving parameters, re-installing the label,
> saving parameters. Doesn't work, messages continue to be posted without
> label.

I would not expect this to change anything. Presumably you are changing
these things via the web admin interface. Is this using the same
configuration file (lists/LISTNAME/config.pck) as the running Mailman?
I.e. is the web server pointing at a different file, maybe a backup made
during migration or even the old server?

> 2) I created a new list in the new server, created a label for it, and,
> in this case, messages are posted with label in this newly created list
> in the new server location

So Mailman is properly processing it. Thus, if it exists in the web
interface, it should be processed unless the web server and the Mailman
qrunners are using different copies of the list's config.pck.

> Thanks for help and suggestions.

If the hosting provider can't solve this, ask them to join this list and
contact us directly.