[Mailman-Users] aliases file: using globally unique user IDs (as in Sympa virtual domains)

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Mon Jul 29 18:55:08 CEST 2013

On 7/29/2013 11:27 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> On 29/07/13 17:53, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> On 07/29/2013 08:35 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>> Migrating to Mailman, I'd like to do something like this:
>>>
>>>    lists.example.org-list1:
>>> "|/var/lib/mailmen/lists.example.org/mail/mailman post list1"
>>>
>>> where I have a dedicated Mailman install under
>>> /var/lib/mailmen/lists.example.org just for that domain.
>>>

>>> Should this all work OK with Mailman?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

>>> Will Mailman even notice that the envelope address was changed into
>>> something else or does it only look at what is inside the message?
>>
>> I don't see that any envelope address changes, but in any case, Mailman
>> doesn't look at envelope recipient. Either the message gets to Mailman
>> or it doesn't. If it got there, Mailman must have been a recipient.
>>
>> Mailman does look for the list address in To: or Cc: if the list's
>> require_explicit_destination is yes.
>>

>>> Is there any way to automatically create aliases like this, or any hook
>>> where Mailman can call a script that I use for creating the aliases?
>>
>> See MTA = 'Postfix' and related settings. You may or may not need to
>> hack Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py.
> I've just had a look at the postfix-to-mailman.py script included with
> the Debian package so I'm going to try that.  It appears that will get
> me halfway to what I want, as it eliminates the need to maintain these
> aliases and virtual aliases.  There is some confusion about how MTA
> should be set:

> and I suspect that further effort (the type of things discussed in my other email) is required to have a site list in each virtual domain.

When I looked at the Ubuntu/Debian package, I saw that there were lots
of patches, many of which were undocumented.  And one patch deletes a
library that might be needed.  Because of this, I decided to build my
own package for Ubuntu based on the SourceForge source.  The only
Debian patch I included was one that placed libraries in directories
appropriate for Debian/Ubuntu.

Also, as discussed previously on this list, the

      postfix-to-mailman.py

script is NOT part of the SourceForge Mailman, and its use is
discouraged.  There is a Mailman FAQ that describes this
script and the recommendation not to use it.

I have details on building the package, if anyone wants them.

--Barry Finkel