[Mailman-Users] strange problem

Bruce Harrison harrison at utm.edu
Thu Mar 14 20:21:53 CET 2013

Stephen,

Thanks for a good, detailed explanation.  Our one remaining Barracuda boxes is an outgoing mail filter, used mainly to keep a "bad" users or malware from spamming from a utm.edu address.    We'll be moving to FOPE with Microsoft in the future (currently does our in-bound mail filtering).
In Outlook, you can open a mail message, then have it display the actual headers.  When looking at a "Sent" message, there are no headers at all.  Appears to me it just shows what's in the text, including the To:, From:, etc.  no real mail headers we can find.
I don't know why the headers are repeated... I'm copying our Exchange guy on this note, he may have some ideas.

My mailman box, uses it's own localhost SMTP agent to handle it's mail.  SMTP then connects to our main incoming mail host (mx1.utm.edu or xmail.utm.edu).  The CAS boxes are of course the CAS servers for Exchange.

I realize my info is somewhat incomplete.  The next time it happens, I’m going to try and track it from start to finish, etc.
We'll see what happens...

Bruce
UTM