[Mailman-Users] Diagnosing Uncaught bounce notification

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 27 19:10:24 CET 2013

Ron Crump wrote:

>One member of one of our mailing lists is continually
>resulting in an Uncaught bounce notification when he
>mails to the list.

I'm guessing you mean that instead of his post going to the list, it
results in an uncaught bounce notification to the list owner
containing his attempted post.

If that's correct, he's sending his post to the LISTNAME-bounces at ...
address instead of to LISTNAME at ... . He probably has that address in
his address book, or perhaps he's replying to posts and using MS
Outlook or similar which is replying to the Sender: instead of the
From:. See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/RoA9>.

>I've never really understood the Uncaught bounce
>notification messages, and am hoping to get some guidance
>on how to diagnose and address the problem.

Uncaught bounces are messages sent to the LISTNAME-bounces at ... address
which are not in the standard DSN format nor one of the many
non-standard formats which Mailman recognizes.

If they look like real non-delivery notices, they should be posted to
this list (mailman-users at python.org) so the recognizers can be updated
to recognize them, but often they are just spam or misdirected posts
sent to the LISTNAME-bounces at ... address.