[Mailman-Users] Troubleshooting help needed

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 12 01:31:04 CEST 2015

On 10/11/2015 03:05 PM, John Swartzentruber wrote:

> Until this morning I've had mailman working fine for me (for many years
> and over one year with my current server, which is running CentOS 6).
> Basically one small list that is active daily and a few other lists that
> are mostly inactive. I wanted to disable two of the inactive lists
> without removing them or their archives. To do this, I edited my
> /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman file and added "# " in front of all of the
> entries for those lists. I did the same in the /etc/mailman/aliases
> file. Prior to these edits I had googled and found some messages from
> Mark that seemed to indicate that this was an appropriate approach.

OK

> I rebuilt the /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman.db file using "postmap
> virtual-mailman" command. I think I failed to rebuild the aliases.db
> file at this point. I reloaded postfix (postfix reload). I assumed
> everything was fine and went about my day. Around noon I received an
> email from a list user indicating that the list was down. When he
> posted, he got this error:

Run

postmap /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman

and

postalias /etc/mailman/aliases

assuming those are the correct paths, and run them both as the 'mailman'
user. In any case, the resultant virtual-mailman.db and aliases.db
should be both user and group 'mailman' or whatever the mailman
user/group is on your system.

Note that the command is postmap for the virtual maps and postalias for
the aliases;

If that doesn't fix it, post the output from 'postconf -n' and the
postfix log messages for a failed delivery.