[Mailman-Users] Mailman Spam Filters

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 8 11:49:49 EST 2017

On 02/07/2017 06:53 AM, Barco van Rhijn wrote:
> I've put together a profanity word list that I'd like to block on our
> mailing lists. I'm attempting to run this through the spam filters in
> Mailman.
> Since these phrases are quite toxic to work with I've added a tame
> example. ;-)
>
> *I'm able to block words without an issue. But I'm having problems with
> two things:*
>
> 1. *I'm unable to match a phrase only.*
>      e.g. "she is mad"
>
>     So far if I enter something like this it will match both words in
> the phrase anywhere in a message.

Pleas tell us exactly where you are putting these regexps/phrases. Are
you putting them in one of the Privacy options... -> Spam filters
settings or somewhere else?

Also, the Privacy options... -> Spam filters header_filter_rules and
bounce_matching_headers filters only apply to headers - message headers
only in the case of bounce_matching_headers and all message and sub-part
headers in the case of header_filter_rules.

Nothing in standard Mailman applies to message bodies.

> It seems that mailman does not acknowledge the regex I insert and simply
> searches for the phrase anywhere including in words.
>
> *About the pipe on the end of search phrases (I've come across a post
> that says for a pipe is needed if you have lists of words in your spam
> rule)

This means nothing to me. Where is this post?

> Does anyone using this feature have advice for me?

Please explain in more detail what you are doing. I don't particularly
care about the regexps themselves, but I do want to know what exactly
you are configuring. Then, I can try to help.