[Mailman-Users] preserve html and allow attachements

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 27 15:07:39 EST 2018

On 02/26/2018 02:49 PM, Tammy Mitchell wrote:
> Hi, I've been reading posts I find through google searches to try to
> solve this. I can't seem to find the correct settings.
>
> -I'm trying to allow html email, with attachments of photos and .pdfs.

You have two choices. You can set Content filtering -> filter_content to
No, or you can set filter_content to Yes and set the following

pass_mime_types:
    multipart
    text/plain
    text/html
    image
    application/pdf

collapse_alternatives: No
convert_html_to_plaintext: No

You may also want to add some "rare" pdf types like application/nappdf
and application/x-pdf and possibly limit image types to, e.g.,
image/jpeg, image/png, image/tiff depending on what you want to allow.

> -I'd also like my archives to look like the email people get. Right now
> it looks like text with code. The html is staying raw, filled with the
> code, it is not rendering properly. My attachements are still all being
> scrubbed.

Pipermail doesn't do that. Non text/plain attachments will always be
scrubbed. HTML will always be HTML escaped unless you add

ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER = 3

See the docs in Mailman/Defaults.py which say in part

> # 3 - Remove text/html as attachments but don't HTML-escape them. Note: this
> #     is very dangerous because it essentially means anybody can send an HTML
> #     email to your site containing evil JavaScript or web bugs, or other
> #     nasty things, and folks viewing your archives will be susceptible.  You
> #     should only consider this option if you do heavy moderation of your list
> #     postings.
> #
> # Note: given the current archiving code, it is not possible to leave
> # text/html parts inline and un-escaped.  I wouldn't think it'd be a good idea
> # to do anyway.

The alternative is to use an external archiver such as MHonArc

> -I guess I'd like the archive messages to show as rendered html, with a
> link to any attachments that were included in the mail.
> -I would like the default view of my archives to be set to Thread.
>
> I've gotten this far:
>
> I am allowing html email to go to my list and that is working well.
> Last week, I had it working so attachments would go with the email. That
> was working. It is not now, since I made the changes described below:
>
> Today I read instructions, on this page, and changed the settings as
> advised here.
> https://wiki.list.org/DOC/How%20do%20I%20preserve%20HTML%20formatting%20while%20filtering%20other%20content%3F
>

> Changed the settings as described in that link. I thought it would allow
> my archives to look like rendered html.
> (nope).
> - also now my attachments are not being sent with the email messages as
> they had been.

Did you set scrub_nondigest to Yes? (The FAQ says be sure it's No), but
setting it Yes or not passing HTML at all are the only things that would
cause this.

> I'm in a plesk environment so I don't have access to the mail Mailman
> files. I might be able to ask my administrator if he'd change some files
> if needed.

He'd be the one to change ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER, but it's a global
setting and doesn't do exactly what you want anyway.

> My archives are at:
> http://lists.cotyrone.com/pipermail/ulsterancestry/
>
> Do you suggest the easiest thing for me to do, would be to set my own
> list up at:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=preserve+html+and+allow+attachements&l=mailman-users%40python.org

That search returns no results. and mail-archive.com is an archiving
service, not a list host, but you could archive your list there if you
like it better than pipermail.

> Also, should I be asking my server admin to upgrade me to Mailman 3.x at
> this time, since my list is new. How hard would that be for him to
> install, and keep up to date in the Plesk environment?

I have no idea how difficult it would be to install Mailman 3 under
Plesk. Mailman 3 installation is non-trivial. According to
<https://wiki.list.org/DOC/Mailman%20and%20Plesk>, installing Mailman 2
upgrades manually is non-trivial - "It is possible to trick Plesk into
recognizing newer versions installed manually but it's not for the faint
of heart."

The situation might be easier with Mailman 3 since Plesk knows nothing
about it.

You might want to check out
<https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/mailman-users@mailman3.org/>
to see what Mailman 3's HyperKitty archives look like, but that list is
plain text only. There are other lists at
<https://mail.python.org/mm3/mailman3/>, but I don't know if any have
HTML in their archives.