[Mailman-Users] Server Migration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 12 11:42:56 EST 2020

On 2/12/20 6:06 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Those are the ones I have been reading. I guess what I need to do is a
> little more complicated than I posted. The old server is running v 2.1
> and we are running into DEMARC issues. Since we need to upgrade anyway
> we have upgraded a new server to the latest RHEL version and mailman
> 3.3. Once we migrate the lists to the new server we just want the users
> to message the same email addresses as before which is why I questioned
> those instructions. Since we don't have access to change DNS it seems
> the easiest thing to do is change their hostnames and IP addresses. If
> there is a better way I am interested.

All the instructions/advice for moving lists are about moving from one
Mailman 2.1 installation to another. Migrating lists from Mailman 2.1 to
Mailman 3 is totally different. For that, you need a working Mailman 3
installation. You migrate Mailman 2.1 lists roughly as follows:

Create the Mailman 3 list with `mailman create`
Import the Mailman 2.1 config.pck with `mailman import21`
Import the Mailman 2.1 archives/private/xxx.mbox/zzz.mbox mailbox with
the Django Admin hyperkitty_import command.

I'm a bit confused about the rest of what you want to do. First, I don't
know what your DMARC issues might be with your current lists, but if
your Mailman 2.1 installation is relatively recent, there is essentially
no difference in DMARC mitigations between that and Mailman 3.3.

Then, your OP said you wanted users to be able to mail to the list at
listname at oldserver.domain.com. If you don't control DNS, you apparently
can't make the MX for oldserver.domain.com point to the new server, so
the only way to accomplish this would be to maintain the old server and
create aliases there (or change the existing Mailman aliases) to send
all the mail to listname(-*)@oldserver.domain.com to the corresponding
listname(-*)@newserver.domain.com address and also make
listname at oldserver.domain.com an acceptable alias of
thelistname at newserver.domain.com list.