[Matplotlib-users] Creating side by side graphs with different scales

Benjamin Root ben.v.root at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:20:18 EST 2015

Yes, it is possible. We call them "ganged plots". Here is an example where
it was done in the y-axis:

http://matplotlib.org/examples/pylab_examples/ganged_plots.html

There are also other examples that show how to put the axis labels in
different places than usual.

Another way to go about this is to use twinx() to get the y-axis labeling
to be easy, but then have a specially crafted scale for the x-axis. In the
end, that might be more straight-forward, but probably a bit harder to code
up at first if you haven't played around with axis locators and formatters.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers!
Ben Root