[Moin-user] artificial page rank inflation, was: MoinMoin and Google's PageRank (long)

Maciej Blizinski maciej.blizinski at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 15:26:01 EST 2004

> As I understand it, links from the same domain don't count. If they did,
> it would be too easy to artificially inflate one's page ranking in this
> manner.

Hard to say, as PageRank's details are not available.

See pages 28-34 from this document: http://www.voelspriet2.nl/PageRank.pdf

According to this document, by choosing the way of internal linking
(interlinking) you can't arrificially boost your tie's total PageRank,
but you can influence PR allocation, you can "distribute" PR as you
wish, across subpages, that is the point.

To say more, I found out that when I'm finding backward links to my homepage:

http://www.google.pl/search?q=link:http%3A//info.wsisiz.edu.pl/%7Eblizinsk/

Three of them are coming from...my homepage! If Google considers those
links when asking for "backward links", it probably counts them in
PageRank.

> The point is to find sites that others are linking to. Make a good site
> that is valuable on that topic, and links will come.

You're right. The valuable content is the most important thing.

Do you mean that trying to distribute PR across the site (and that's
is what I want to do) is cheating and hurting the Google's ability to
provide good search results?

Regards,
Maciej Bliziński