[Moin-user] Mercurial setup for creating my own theme

Dennis Benzinger Dennis.Benzinger at gmx.net
Thu Feb 26 15:12:48 EST 2009

Hi Thomas!

Am 26.02.2009 19:31, Thomas Waldmann schrieb:
>> I want to create my own theme that works with the current released
>> version 1.8.2 and also with 1.9 when it will be released. My theme will
>> be based on the modernized theme so I'd like to use Mercurial to keep
>> track of changes of this theme.
>
> Maybe we could talk a bit about the goals of your theme.
>
> Depending on that, it maybe could be interesting to either:
>  * just modify modernized ("in place")
>  * have it included in moin distribution
>  * have it in the moin-extensions repository

I want to create a theme that lets me use MoinMoin as a small scale
content management system. But I don't plan to publicly release my theme
anytime soon. It's my first attempt at creating a theme and I'd like to
concentrate on making the theme suitable for my own needs first.

>> How should I set up my Mercurial repositories?
>
> For core development, you usually just clone moin/1.9 (or moin/1.8) from
> hg.moinmo.in.
>
> If it is just a plugin (like a theme usually is), you could also keep it
> in the moin extensions repo and not modify the moin/1.x repo. Or in your
> own private repo...

Yes, I'll keep it in my own private repository. I just wasn't sure which
repo I should clone.

>> My problem is that there is already a clone for 1.9 so if I'd make my
>> changes in a 1.8 repo I'll somehow have to apply them to 1.9. Or I'd
>> make my changes in 1.9 and then have to backport them to 1.8.
>
> Yes. Or you just have it in another repo (like moin extensions).
> [...]

OK. So probably the easiest way would be to start developing the theme
for 1.9 and make no version for 1.8. Do you have any idea when 1.9 (or
even better 2.0) will be released? Will it take weeks, months or years?

Dennis Benzinger