[Moin-user] Fwd: MoinMoin virtual appliance

Dirk Fieremans dirk.fieremans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 09:48:36 EDT 2009

Just thinking loud:

- what is the best way to promote your product: global mass acceptance and
use, right?
- how to reach this: ease of installation and use. Personally I don't really
like to play with OS things, packages, patching, ... (yes, I'm lazy!)
>From an enduser point of view, I really only want to use it directly. I'm
not sure whether it now takes a lot of configuration, but I'm a bit afraid
of it, given our relatively small Linux knowledge.
Take for example integration with Active Directory. I would not know where
to start, except for browsing through a lot of fora.

Suppose you could package the most important features into a .vmdk file,
where configuration of the MoinMoin engine is reduced to providing it with
an IP address, wouldn't that be great? A single page configuration manual,
with no hassle on Python, Apache,... as they come pre-configured.
We could then spend all our time on enabling the user experience (hence my
earlier question on implementation strategy). How do you start such a
project without it becoming an absolute mess...

That would be great and valuable discussions!

Regarding Debian, we mainly use a licensed RedHat Enterprise license, but as
we would like to use it as a virtual appliance, hiding the OS from us, it
can be anything...

best regards,
Dirk