[Moin-user] LocalBadContent - can it be not readable?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Feb 9 12:55:29 EST 2011

    >> The Jython wiki has seen an uptick in spam page creation the past
    >> week or two.  I've been deleting the pages and adding patterns to the
    >> LocalBadContent page.

    Thomas> You should rather add them to
    Thomas> http://master19.moinmo.in/BadContent so everybody gets them.

Thanks.  I have a problem with the whole BadContent concept though.  The
exclusion patterns I added locally involve home, auto and life insurance.
I'm pretty confident they are not appropropriate terms for a Jython or
Python wiki.  I am much less sure that they belong in a global BadContent
page.  What happens if someone has a Moin wiki which deals with insurance?
Many of their page edits would likely start breaking.

    >> I wonder if making that page generally unreadable
    >> will work.  (AdminGroup members could still see it of course.)

    Thomas> Just try. You'll notice it on first page save if something does
    Thomas> not work.

Will give it a try.

    Thomas> BTW, as a general remark: the wiki is running moin 1.7.1 which
    Thomas> is a rather old version. Newer moins (don't remember since when)
    Thomas> have textchas to avoid spam, you maybe want to try that. With
    Thomas> the right questions, it'll keep spammers away.  Regular editors
    Thomas> can be added to a special no-textcha group, so they don't get
    Thomas> annoyed.

We use textchas on the Python wiki (maybe we installed something from the
MacroMarket, I don't recall).  I guess we should be able to enable them for
the Jython wiki as well.  As for upgrading, I suspect all the volunteers are
just too busy to worry about it.  Can't be bleeding edge (or even leading
edge) on everything.  That said, if there is a member of the Moin community
who is interested in helping to maintain the Python & Jython wiki
installation, feel free to drop a note to pydotorg-www at python.org.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/