[Moin-user] Diagnose and fix performance problems?

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Wed May 2 13:03:36 EDT 2012

Hi Chris,

> I used MoinMoin to build a website for my former research group at
> MIT, and it has worked well for them so far
> (http://juanesgroup.mit.edu). The servers are internal to MIT and we
> have limited control over them.

Nicely themed moin 1.9.4. :)

> As it stands, the website has some performance problems -- sometimes
> it's quick, and sometimes it takes 10 seconds or more to load a page.
> I'm looking for suggestions on how to diagnose and fix this
> sluggishness. It could stem from the servers, from MoinMoin, or from
> less-than-optimal HTML, CSS, javascript, or Moin configuration that I
> did myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!

Well, without more infos and without server shell access it is a bit
hard to help.

Look into web server logs (apache access log / error log), compare times
when wiki is fast to times when it is slow.

Did you use apache/mod-wsgi or cgi? cgi is slow.

Look at machine load (linux: "top") when wiki is fast vs. when wiki is
slow. Look which process is eating cpu.

Is it when you are doing specific wiki requests? Like after saving?

If you can't get it solved, talk to me.

Cheers,

Thomas