[Neuroimaging] [Nipy-devel][Dipy] A new circle of Google Summer of Code starts - time for new proposals

Julio Villalon jevillalonr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:59:34 EST 2016

Hi Eleftherios + Nipy community,

This is really great. GSoC 2015 was a very rewarding experience for me. I
am willing to be a co-mentor with Eleftherios, Ariel and Omar this year.

I have some ideas which I would like to share with you.

1. Bias field/non-uniformity correction of T1-weighted images. There are
many freely available tools that do this: SPM, FSL-FAST, N3 (MINC and
Freesurfer), N4 (ANTS), BrainVoyager, etc. The idea is to implement the
best one of these and include it as part of the processing pipeline of
Dipy. Bias Field correction of T1 images allows for better segmentation and
consequently for better partial volume estimation of brain tissue types,
which ultimately has a direct impact on novel tractography techniques such
as Anatomically-Constrained Tractography (ACT).

- Does anyone know is there is anything available in Python?
- Which of the mentioned methods is better?

2. Recovery of local intra-voxel fiber structure for DTI-like
sampling/acquisition schemes (6-40 samples, b<=1200 s/mm2). Most of the
acquired Diffusion MRI (DMRI) data available nowadays is data acquired for
clinical/neuroscientific  studies looking at the effects of many diseases
on the brain (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, HIV, autism, Alzheimer's
Disease, etc). The vast majority of this data has been acquired with
sampling schemes with less than 40 samples and a single shell of less than
1200 s/mm2. With recent advancements in dictionary learning and sparse
recovery techniques (e.g. Merlet et al, 2013), the idea is to make these
tools available to the general public, especially to those who have this
type of data and can make a better use of it.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Julio

: